California's Education Tribe
The Barona Band of Mission Indians believes that education is the key to successful cultural relationships and the foundation for our future.
To this effort, the Barona Band of Mission Indians created the Barona Indian Charter School to provide important educational opportunities for children on the Barona Indian Reservation and throughout the local San Diego community. With funding from the Tribe, the Barona Indian Charter School now includes a tutoring/computer center, comprehensive library, preschool program, and high school classrooms. Building upon these valuable tools, in 2004 the school was ranked third of 5,270 California elementary schools in test score achievement.
Our hope is to broaden the tools to inspire youth throughout California. It is with great pride we introduce the Barona Education Grant Program.
Download: Grant Form || Accountability Form
The Barona Band of Mission Indians is proud to help make a difference for schools throughout California. Through the endorsement of your locally-elected state representatives, schools in your area can now apply for Barona educational funding to purchase much-needed supplies and materials such as books and computers.
Each grant awarded by the Barona Education Grant Program is $5,000. Applications for the grant may be submitted by your locally-elected state official on your behalf, or you may submit the application directly as long as it is accompanied by an endorsement letter by your State Legislator.
APPLICATION PROCESS & CRITERIA
- The Barona Band of Mission Indians WILL BE accepting applications for 2014. All applications must be postmarked between January 1, 2014 and June 30, 2014 for inclusion in the 2014 Grant Year.
- Each grant is $5,000, and schools can apply once per year.
- One grant will be awarded per Legislator.
- The Barona Education Grant Program will fund materials that promote academic improvement, and will benefit current & future students, including books and computers.
- Awarded grants cannot be used for personnel, wages, sports equipment, athletic and recreational equipment, giveaway books, office furniture or supplies, field trips, scholarships, and one time use materials.
- The application must be completed in full, and accompanied by an endorsement letter from a State Legislator.
- Applications can be downloaded here. Completed applications must be postmarked within 30 days of the written endorsement letter from the State Legislator.
- Completed applications and the Legislator endorsement letter must be mailed. Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted.
- Schools that receive a grant from the Barona Education Grant program must submit an accountability report within one year of receiving the grant.